Visit QSIDE (Institute for Quantitative Studies of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity)
Read my work on gender representation in math.
Read my work on diversity of artists in major U.S. museums.
I am very concerned with the underrepresentation of women and minorities in the mathematical sciences and in other fields. I believe that this issue is our collective responsibility — and everyone’s individual responsibility — whether you are a research mathematician or a kindergarten teacher. My own activities related to diversity in math include
- Found and direct QSIDE (Institute for Quantitative Studies of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity)
- Advise 43 undergraduate capstone student experiences (44% for women)
- Advise or co-advised 45 undergraduate summer research experiences (33% for women)
- Supervise 7 academic year independent study experience (43% for women)
- Research gender representation on editorial boards
- Research gender and ethnic representation of artists
- Research affirmative action in college admissions
- Serve on AMS Committee on Human Rights of Mathematicians
- Chair AMS Committee on Women in Mathematics
- Served on PCMI Diversity Committee
- Create and operate the Diversity Nominating Collective
- Create and operate the Grant Mentoring Diversity Initiative
- Track gender representation in my home department
- Maintain top-10 list for equity, diversity, inclusion in academia
- Occasionally, blog about diversity in the mathematical sciences
If you have suggestions for ways I can contribute to supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion in any arena, please let me know.