Speaking/Presenting: Contact me if you want to inquire about about having me give a nontechnical public talk or an academic talk on: data science; social justice; teaching and learning; applied topology; collective behavior; patterns in nature; or any other area I work in.
Justice and the Law: Check out JUSTFAIR (the first project to make sentencing decisions of federal district judges available to the public on a broad scale) and our study of incarceration in NYC jails during the early days of COVID, which uncovers both some disturbing details and some opportunities for change.
QSIDE: I co-founded and serve as Executive Director of Research for QSIDE, the Institute for the Quantitative Study of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity. An independent 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, QSIDE brings the vanguard of quantitative tools to bear on issues of social justice in the arts, crime and criminal justice, health care, higher education, pop culture, and more.
Selected recent works (see Publications for complete list):
- E. Miller, B.D. Martin, C.M. Topaz. New York City Jails: COVID Discharge Policy, Data Transparency, and Reform, submitted (2021).
- D.P. Maes, J. Tucher, C.M. Topaz. Affirmative action, critical mass, and a predictive model of undergraduate student body demographics, submitted (2021).
- B.C. Heggeseth, C.M. Topaz. When data meets diversity, SIAM News 53 (10) (2020).
- M.-V. Ciocanel, C.M. Topaz, R. Santorella, S. Sen, C.M. Smith, A. Hufstetler. JUSTFAIR: Judicial System Transparency through Federal Archive Inferred Records, PLOS One 15 (10) (2020) e0241381.
- C.M. Topaz, J. Cart, C. Diaz Eaton, A. Hanson Shrout, J.A. Higdon, K. İnce, B. Katz, D. Lewis, J. Libertini, C.M. Smith. Demographic study of signatories to public letters on diversity in the mathematical sciences, PLOS One 15 (4) (2020) e0232075.
Support: I’m grateful to be supported by the National Science Foundation since 2006, currently by grant DMS-1813752, Variational and Topological Approaches to Complex Systems (2018 – 2021). The views expressed on my website are my own and do not in any way represent the NSF.